Thursday, December 09, 2010

Talk the Talk

 
I've lived in the second city all my life and for a good few years I have been working in the Bullring, one of Europe’s top shopping centres. So it is safe to say I am never ten feet away from an idiot. Couple this with the fact that I commute on public transport and I'm neck deep in the kind of idiocy that makes your teeth inch before the clock hits twelve noon. If there's one thing that will stick a neon Vegas style sign above your head with the word moron written on it, its the words you use when you talk. I remember back a few years ago when 'the kids' (which at the time probably included me) would replace the word 'Good' with the 'bad'. At the time this seems the norm to me.
As of late a certain word that when it is used has a similar effect as a cheese grater across the nad sack the word is 'sick', used as a replacement for 'good'. I'm not a Shakespearian linguistic by any means so this shouldn't bother me but it does. I can say that it is not communally used within my work place, until now. One of the Christmas temps used it in conversation much to the bemusement of everyone around. It seems it's a youth thing and for once I am very glad to be getting older. As I travelled home last night I pondered on this and suddenly it came to me that maybe this is not such a vomit inducing fad as I first thought. In Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four set in a dystopia future they are cutting a lot of the words out of the dictionary on a daily basis to make life less complicated for the proles. Maybe this is the same thing, using one word to describe two compliantly different things, maybe this is the way forward. If so I'm looking forward to the day I can call anyone 'bastard' because its used instead of 'people' in street talk and I won't get a punch in the fizzog. Happy days, or should I say 'sick days'.


No comments:

Post a Comment