Thursday, October 25, 2012

Long hair, water & children who need sun beds. J-horror


I press the PLAY button and sit back. I know what's coming, I've seen it many times. But it's only recently that I have read the novel this particular movie is based on, which is slightly shameful as I've had the book for almost three years now. In my defence I have a lot of books, I don't mean I have all the Harry Potter's, I have a lot of book and the fact that I get free books from work reinforces my statement. I digress, the movie is Ring or Ringu as it is known in Japan. So why does this movie hold a place in my heart, well I'll paint the picture. Back many years ago I took a trip to my local video store. I'd seen a review in a obscure magazine regarding a new Japanese horror that sounded completely different from the stuff that was being released from America and the UK. This was the time when western cinema was dominated by self-aware teen slasher movies. Now I'm in no way slatting these movies, the first Scream is very important in the history of the horror genre. It broke the rules by being self-aware, which means that it acknowledges other horror movies that came before it. But after the success of Scream it was inevitable that other film makes would ride the new wave, so for the next few years that's all we got.
 
The review wasn't big, it wasn't proclaiming to have found a new voice in horror, in fact I think it was very short. The one thing that the review did have was a small picture of the video/DVD cover. If you have seen the cover art then you know it is very striking, I think that may have been the thing that caught my attention. Anyway, so I'm in the video store looking through all the new releases, trying to find something different when I remember the review. I rush up to the guy behind the desk. 'Have you got a movie called Ring?'. He looked a little confused, and then he seemed to be struck by sudden memory or had a small stroke, I can't be sure he was a little strange looking to start with. 'Yeah, its over there, bottom row, behind the door with 3 awful sci-fi movies in front of it. I didn't know what to expect, at this point I hadn't seen that many subtitled movies. After 96 minutes of solid plot that builds to a very memorable climax I was very impressed. Being the geek that I am I did a little research and found out that they had filmed a sequel Ringu 2, so off to the video store I went. 'Hi, do you have Ring 2?' This time he wasn't confused, I think he remembered me. 'No dude, but I could get it from another store for you'.

After a couple of days waiting I got the second movie. Now as I would come to realise the Japanese have a tendency to really run with an idea until it becomes totally bizarre. Ring 2 is a good movie and carries on the story well but had a few strange ideas. To my delight they made a third movie Ring 0. My new friend at the video store was a little less helpful this time. 'Sorry dude, we won't be getting it, and no one has it, you are the only person to rent these movies'. Damn I would have to buy it, so I did. Now did I mention that the Japanese have a way of really making something totally bizarre in a special way, well that's Ring 0.

As I mentioned at the start these movies are very roughly based on the 3 Ring novels written by koji Suzuki (Ring, Spiral & Loop). When I say roughly I do mean it, the first book is about two guys, the first movie is about a woman and son. The books do go off into the world of virus's.

So by now I'm looking for the next J-horror and another title pops ups Ju-on The Grudge. This is a very clever take on the haunted house story. Which featured a creepy cat, a ghost woman with long black hair which seems to be a running theme and a little boy who is really, really pale skinned. As with the Ring, The Grudge was very successful and spawned an American remake, probably for those who can't read subtitles. Now most who know me in person will know this already, but I'm not afraid to say it here, the remake scared the crap out of me. And this is why I love these movies. Now you have to show this blog to someone or in one week you will die by an evil spirit woman with no local hair dressers stuffing a soaking wet cat in your mouth as a little pale boy rebuilds a well in your back garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment