Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Play it again (or not, its up to you)

There is this group on Facebook called the '30 day music challenge.' I love music, but after reading the rules I decided not to participate. Because I'm too indecisive and the day 1 rule caused a impulse of neuron feedback only experienced by kids stupid enough to try and get their kite down from a power pylon. So here is my version, its shorter, unstructured and I might sneak in a few swear words.
I just can't pick one singular song as my favourite, its like trying to pick your favourite strand of hair or ass cheek. So here is a few I will always grab to break the silence. 'Everyday is exactly the same' by Nine Inch Nail. NIN will probably pop up a few times in this list but I love this song because we all can sympathies with the lyrics about a life that seems to repeat it self. 'Frances farmer will have her revenge on Seattle' by Nirvana. Like most spotty, moody teen tear aways I found my angst perfectly transformed into music in the form of the album in utero. This song often gets over looked but I love the fact it sounds like a practice there is such a thing as over producing. And 'I am the walrus' by The Beatles a song of complete nonsense with almost Dali style lyrics, again this gets over looked well the whole album gets over looked because of it being more of a sound track for the film then an album but I love it, and even with the possibility of being stoned to death, dare I say I like this album more then 'Sgt peppers.'
One song always manages to put a smile on my face even when its a really shitty day, and has me singing out loud is 'flagpole sitta' by Harvey Danger. If you read the lyrics, this song is very depressing but the delivery of those lyrics is just the best, very up beat and its the theme to Peep show.
Back in the day I used to spend a lot of time in Cornwall body-boarding and there is one album that reminds me of those hazy days in the sun sitting on the beach or around a BBQ burning sausages while waiting for the swell or driving the coast road from Newquay to Padstow. 'Glow' by Reef. Every time I hear 'Consideration' I can almost taste the salt water. Not to sound like Neal Smug from Smug town USA but I've seen more bands live then I can recall one that stands out is Damien Rice. Ok so he's not a band but when I heard the song 'Me, My Yoke and I' live I was blown away this singer song writer had more intensity then most heavy bands I have seen, real hairs standing on end time. The song is not one that gets played a lot like 'Cannonball' or the 'Blower's Daughter' but I love it, I'm also partial to 'Rootless Trees' and 'Coconut Skins'.
There are hundreds of songs I could mention but I don't want to turn this into a bloody epic so I'm going to condense the rest into a quick blast few lines. Nine Inch Nails, 'Hurt' because when everyone in Birmingham Academy was singing this soft confession of a song it was simply amazing. 'The End' by The Doors no big reason I just like it same as 'Paint it Black' by The Rolling Stones, 'Transmission' by Joy division, 'Can't dance to disco' by Feeder, 'The Passanger' by Iggy Pop, 'Pure' by 3 Colours Red, just really well written songs. Etc, etc, etc, (the list is never ending).

No comments:

Post a Comment