Sunday, March 13, 2011

Flying Skateboard?

Where is my flying skateboard? A question we have all asked at one point or another. Come to think of it where is my holiday home on the moon and the giant invading bugs from outer space? Ok so maybe not the last one, but the other stuff is differently missing. Anyone who knows me will know I'm a geek, anything to do with the future and what people think it will bring has me dribbling like a rabid dog. Everything from the computer game Fallout, which is set in a very grim post-apocalyptic world. Playing it is like being repeatedly smacked in the face with a 1950's idea of the future that has been printed on the side of a charred leg of pork. To Threads which has to be the most depressing TV program ever made. Half way through you will be hoping for a real nuclear attack, just to lighten the mood. But its not all war, radiation, famine, disease and burning northerners, there are also more tech advanced visions. Back to the future 2 promised us self drying clothes, flying cars and hover boards. There was a long running rumour that the film makers had in fact designed a real working hover board, but these were later dismissed due to it being a load of bollocks. Even TV lied to us about how good the future was going to be, remember Tomorrows world, well I do and I'm not happy TV used to be a friend, but it lied. My point is with all these visions from Deathrace 2000 to Space 1999 why is it that I'm living in said future and our biggest day to day technological masterpiece is an iphone with a spirit level app. By now I should be woken up by my robot butler, before I spray on a suit. Then I would take my breakfast pill (2 eggs over easy, crispy bacon, toast and coffee white 2 sugars) before I get into my flying car and travel to my job at the institute of Martian immigration. Is this the case, no I'm waking to a alarm clock putting on a Primark T-shirt and catching the 61 bus in the rain. In 1969 we landed on the moon, a massive achievement for mankind and what have we done since, sod all and why I here you cry from your moon base shattered dreams. It's because of health and safety. The bubble rap and germ spray brigade won't let you do anything that might cause the fracturing of a finger nail. We are being stunted by the fear that a few boffins might get a little bit blown up, boffins are ten a penny but a moon holiday home is priceless. So stop it with all the pansy arsing about and at least invent a hover board for me to fall off a few times, get bored with and throw under the bed. The future is here now pass me the death ray you deserve to be deleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment