Monday, February 14, 2011

Book off and read

I like to read, to some people this is the equivalent of laughing at a burning kitten, strange and unnecessary. Because why should they read. Most books are made into movies quicker then the author can cash the first royalty check. Why should they sit there and try to work out what all those long words mean. But I love a good book as much as I love a good movie, which there hasn't been a great deal of as of late. Social Network was ok but did I really need to sit through a two hour flick about a intolerable little shit that comes up with an idea that makes him the richest intolerable little shit on the planet. Then there was Catfish, labelled the real Facebook movie which was to be frank, boring, it works on the same ideas as The Last Broadcast but without a fraction of the imagination. So is it any wonder I find solace in a book. Now don't get me wrong I'm not a book snob, you won't find me sat discussing the works of Chekhov, I'll give any book a go within reason. Now most of the books I have read have or are going to be made into movies, with different results but always never as good as the book. There is one movie that manages to insight anger everytime I compare the movie to the book. 'Let the right one in' (original title: Låt den rätte komma in) by John Ajvide Lindqvist is a Swedish novel set in the 80's about a friendship between a vampire and a young boy. The book is a masterful read which is entertaining as it is disturbing and there is some very disturbing subject matter that some people might find hard. The book has a great narrative with a twisting back story, I would recommend this to anyone who likes vampire novels and horror in general. Then we have the movie, made in Sweden four years after the book was released and yes it looks very arty, but they missed so many of the plot points it has in fact changed the story. It doesn’t sit on the shelve as an adaptation more of a simple inbreed bastard son who is so simple it sits there looking at the sun with a confused expression. And now the Hollywood shit pump has decided to make there version, which without doubt will miss even more of the story out. This isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last 'The Ring' has had the same mistreatment, a cult book, followed by a cult movie and then the Americans spat out their version. My problem is with all the movie dicking about the books get over looked everytime and the books are always much better. Here is a print off pointer for some cult books you should read.
'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson (3 movies based on the same short novel), 'The Ring' by Koji Suzuki (3 Japanese movie, 2 American), 'Choke' by Chuck Palahniuk (1 movie), 'Fightclub' by Chuck Palahniuk (1 movie), 'Perfume: The story of a Murderer' by Patrick Suskind (1 movie which to be fair was alright), 'Johnny got his gun' by Dalton Trumbo (1 movie). There are many more so go now and read and if you don't like the book I'm sure the author won't hesitate to give you your money back, because you won't get a penny out of me. As of writing this I have heard that they are planning to make a movie of the Chuck Palahniuk novel 'Snuff' so I suggest you go and read the book first....go now!

1 comment:

  1. The Prestige by Christopher Priest is one of those books to movies where the only similarities are the title and the fact there are warring magicians. The book is so much more creepy in the reveal.

    ReplyDelete